[ppml] Policy Proposal 2006-2: Micro-allocations for Internal Infrastructure

Matthew Petach mpetach at netflight.com
Sat Mar 25 17:11:24 EST 2006

First off, I'd like to also add my voice in support of this
proposal for the record.

On 3/20/06, Louis Lee <louie at equinix.com> wrote:

> [...]
> Just some additional thoughts....
>
> ARIN already documents the micro-allocations as lists:
> http://www.arin.net/reference/micro_allocations.html
>
> That being the case, is it really necessary to have specific
> blocks reserved for each of the 3 (or 4) categories (times 2: one
> set for v4 and another set for v6)?  I'd imagine that operators
> may find it convenient to configure route filters and IP filters
> so they can treat each block differently.  But is that happening
> today?  And would someone with a crystal ball tell me if these
> filters will be built based on these blocks in the future? ;)

The filters do exist today, but they're painful to keep updated
because in v4 space the allocations are done as individual /24s,
so each time a new IX comes online, it means adding yet another
line to the filter.   206.223 seemed like a step in the right direction,
I was hoping that we'd get to the point of just being able to filter
206.223/16 and not have to keep updating filters--but existing
exchange points never went back and re-numbered off their old
198.32 space, and now there's new IXs being numbered out of
206.197 (personally, my favorite from the ARIN list at the link
above is 206.197.310.0/24 -- I still haven't managed to get my
router to accept that in the filter.  Good thing I'm not planning to
connect to that IX any time soon!).  Yes, I know that's a typo--but
that's one consequence of assigning the microallocations in the
current fashion.  Let's not use 'this is how we do it today' be a reason
for not doing it better in the future.

So--yes, let's set aside 4 microallocation blocks in v6 for the
categories listed; all such allocations will come from the associated
microallocation block, and those of us operating large networks
will then be able to use our filters without the current headache
of updating them on such a regular basis.

Thanks!

Matt
(putting his crystal ball away until next time)

Best regards,