[ppml] a modified proposal 2005-8

Jason Schiller (schiller@uu.net) jason.schiller at mci.com
Thu Mar 16 12:54:12 EST 2006

Some how this didn't get posted.

___Jason
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 11:58:49 -0500 (EST)
From: "Jason Schiller (schiller at uu.net)" <schiller at uu.net>
To: Lea Roberts <lea.roberts at stanford.edu>
Cc: Randy Bush <randy at psg.com>, ppml at arin.net
Subject: Re: [ppml] a modified proposal 2005-8

First let me say I think the policy is a good one.

I agree with the general concept that we should consider moving away from
"classful" and towards CIDR, and agree that the end site assignemnt should
generally be between /64 and /48 and should not be "fixed values".

The guidelines (and I understand they are just a guidelines) clearly
defines the upper and lower bounds, but then offers a fixed value of a /56
for small sites, or /60 as some suggest.

I guess I would like to see guidelines for how an ISP or LIR would
determine best fit for an end site assignment that does not center around
a fixed number such as /56 or /60 for small sites.

I understand there is a trade off between aggregation and efficent use,
and I understand aggregation is currently more important, but I'm not sure
how much more important aggregation is over efficent use.

Should an ISP plan for as many subnets as the end site could ever imagine
using and then round up to the nearest CIDR?  Should we plan for twice as
many as thay can imaging using in the next 10 years and then round up?  OR
manybe the exact number of subnets today then rounded up to the nearest
CIDR and then doubled?

___Jason

Jason Schiller                                               (703)886.6648
Senior Internet Network Engineer                         fax:(703)886.0512
Public IP Global Network Engineering                       schiller at uu.net
UUNET / Verizon                         jason.schiller at verizonbusiness.com

The good news about having an email address that is twice as long is that
it increases traffic on the Internet.