[ppml] Policy Proposal 2005-8: Proposal to amend ARIN IPv6 assignment and utilisation requirement - revised text

Scott Leibrand sleibrand at internap.com
Mon Mar 13 14:15:22 EST 2006

I think I support this proposal, but I have a couple questions about the
change to "the use of a /56 as the unit quantity in the calculation of the
ISP or LIR's end site allocation efficiency."  Specifically, will
assignment of a /48 to a customer automatically count as 256 fully
utilized /56's for these purposes?  What about the allocation of 128
/64's?  Would that count as a fully utilized or fully unutilized /56?  Or
can it be counted as what it is, a half-utilized /56?

I guess I'm just trying to tease out the implications on an ISPs ability
to get more space from using different assignment sizes for different
customers.

Thanks,
Scott