[ppml] v6 multihoming and route filters

Tony Hain alh-ietf at tndh.net
Fri Jun 30 16:59:07 EDT 2006

Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> 1. At some point in the future, the number of routes in the DFZ could
> become so large that the routing system can't support it any more.
> This is the scaling problem that many people in the IETF are worried
> about.

What keeps being overlooked here is that the concept of a global DFZ is
artificial, and was originally specifically intended to sort out the players
who could afford serious routers from the rest. There is no technical need
for every organization to know the gory details of every other organization,
the basis for maintain the myth is purely an ego driven desire to be
considered a peer.

> I've written a draft that takes this idea a bit further a couple of
> years ago, have a look at:
>
> http://www.muada.com/drafts/draft-van-beijnum-multi6-isp-int-aggr-01.txt

That was good work looking at the alternatives. I have also been maintaining
one without ties to political entities, currently
draft-hain-ipv6-pi-addr-09.txt. At the end of the day we need to revisit the
assumption that the only viable aggregation unit is provider based. There
are trade-offs here, and with a small shift toward structured topology we
could put a lid on the routing table problem.

Tony