[ppml] "Recommended Practices" procedure

Scott Leibrand sleibrand at internap.com
Thu Jun 29 14:56:25 EDT 2006

Another consideration is that a PA /48 need not be accepted globally to be
usable for multihoming.  If both your transit providers accept your /48
from you and from each other, you can be guaranteed reachability.  (You
may not be able to do the kind of traffic engineering you might want,
though.)

As a result of this, I would maintain that you (as a hypothetical
enterprise wishing to multihome with PA space) should (eventually) be able
to find two transit providers willing to take your money and guarantee
that they'll listen to your /48 from each other.  If you can't, then
perhaps you need to offer them more money (or get PI space).  :)

Now back to "Recommended Practices", it would be fairly easy to construct
a routing policy to do this across the board.  On each peering link, allow
pe:er::pr:ef:ix/32 le 48
yo:ur::pr:ef:ix/32 le 48
PI::ne:tb:lo:ck/XX le 48
and