[ppml] "Recommended Practices" procedure

David Williamson dlw+arin at tellme.com
Thu Jun 29 11:57:06 EDT 2006

On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 08:11:35AM -0700, Azinger, Marla wrote:
> I hear many comments about "the slippery sloap".  And "make them get PI if they want to multihome".  However, my customer's dont want PI.  Just because one person finds this as an ideal solution does not mean everyone will accept this solution.
>
> Also, a /48 is not a gigantic hole in the filtering opposed to /32.  And to open up /48 for PI only is an unbalanced policy.  If I had known people would be using PI as an excuse not to let Upstreams multihome with V6 I would have advocated to shut down that policy proposal.  I support PI but for poeple to turn around and force feed PI is not acceptable.

How do you propose to do this?  Should large service providers maintain
a (likely very long) list of all known /48 PA multihomers?  They could
then filter on the /32 edge except for the known PI space, plus all the
exceptions.  That's completely impractical in the real world.
Alternatively, you can simply move the minimum size edge from /32 to
/48 globally.  That's probably also operationally impossible, for the
moment.  (The routing slot argument, which I don't usually buy, is an
easy one to make in this case.)  At some future point, /48 filtering
will be a practical possibility.  That time will be determined by
business pressures on ISPs.

Heck, I think the ISP crowd had it backwards in their objections to PI
space.  Let people get whatever space (v4 or v6) they can qualify for.
ARIN makes no promises about the routability of any block.  If you
qualify for a block that's too small for current ISP routing policy to
carry, that's unfortunate.  Perhaps we'll be able to route your /26 or
/56 in the future.  Again, market forces will make things work out for
the general good, or at least the general good of the ISP's
shareholders.

I will again reiterate that this is a business issue, not a policy
one.  Routing best practices are frequently organization specific,
depending on hardware, clue level, and greed, among other variables.

I'll agree with Randy: I'd rather not work and have money fall from the
sky. :)

-David