[ppml] "Recommended Practices" procedure

David Williamson dlw+arin at tellme.com
Thu Jun 29 01:28:40 EDT 2006

On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 07:20:40PM -0500, Stephen Sprunk wrote:
> We should not be advocating as a "recommended practice" punching holes in
> CIDR space under any circumstances.  If someone happens to find that it
> works, bully for them, but it's not supposed to and nobody should expect it
> to continue to work, much less be told it's the right thing to do.

I agree.  Depending on their configuration/hardware/sales people, some
ISPs may choose to filter at /48 globally, while most will probably go
for /32 except for the /48 PI space.  I expect that at some future
date, /48 will be the de facto filter unit.  That will depend on the
(slowly growing) availability of routing slots, combined with the
market forces that drive ISPs.  Routing best practice is to not do
something that causes massive instability and your customer base to
flee.

This is a business problem, not a policy problem.

-David