[ppml] 2005-1 status

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Tue Jan 31 09:58:44 EST 2006

Thus spake "Kevin Loch" <kloch at hotnic.net>
> Stephen Sprunk wrote:
>> I agree that one size doesn't fit all, but I think it's more relevant to
>> count the number of subnets than the number of street addresses
>> (or hosts).
>
> Here is an alternative version that starts with default assignment of
> /48 and allows for more with justification for the extra subnets.

I have a couple minor wording changes below, but I'd support your text as-is
if needed.

> I'm not sure if "justify need for additional subnets" is clear enough.
> What justifies the use of a subnet?

I'm content to leave that to ARIN's staff's discrection unless others
believe that more direction is required.

>       6.5.8.2. Direct assignment size to large/multihomed end sites
>
>         Organizations that meet the direct end site assignment criteria
>         are eligible to receive a direct assignment.  The size of the
>         assignment is /48.  Organizations requesting more than a single
>         /48 must provide documentation justifying the need for
>         additional subnets.

         Organizations that meet the direct end site assignment criteria
         are eligible to receive a direct assignment.  The minimum size
         of the assignment is /48.  Organizations requesting a larger
         assignment or a second (or more) assignment must provide
         documentation justifying the need for additional subnets.

>       6.5.8.3. Subsequent Assignment Size
>
>         Additional assignments may be made when the need for additional
>         subnets is justified.  When possible assignments will be made
>         from an adjacent address block.

         Additional assignments may be made when the need for additional
         subnets is justified.  When possible, additional assignments will
be
         made from an adjacent address block.  If an adjacent block is not
         available, organizations may request to trade their prior smaller
         assignment(s) for a single larger one, with a transition period of
         six months to renumber.

I think we also need to state somewhere that allocations under this policy
should be from a block designated for that purpose, so that ISPs that wish
to filter on prefix length know to use /48 as the limit for this part of the
IPv6 space.  I don't know if we need to use a different block from
microallocations.

Stephen Sprunk        "Stupid people surround themselves with smart
CCIE #3723           people.  Smart people surround themselves with
K5SSS         smart people who disagree with them."  --Aaron Sorkin