[ppml] 2005-1 status

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Mon Jan 30 10:39:07 EST 2006

>>> So, just to be clear, a site that is multihomed and in one physical
>>> location will get a /44 ?
>> thanks for asking.  this is the bit that confuses me the most.
>> i thought that this was precisely where the /48 break point was
>> intended.  i am confused here somewhere.
> Using the HD-ratio the utilization threshold for /48 is 1 which means a
> 47 is justified, upgraded to /44 by nibble alignment.

how can you apply an hd ration when you do not know their actual
need.  whatever it may be, i have this wild guess that it is not
for 2^48 hosts.

and why not to a /40, for byte alignment?  or a /32 for half-word?

i don't know what we're smoking here, but i know what we're
burning.  address space.  and it is not an infinite resource.

randy