[ppml] 2005-1 status

Scott Leibrand sleibrand at internap.com
Tue Jan 24 17:02:50 EST 2006

IMO, 2005_1_orig does not *just* make IPv6 PI space available to anyone
who qualifies for IPv4 PI space, it goes much further (too far IMO).

With IPv4, a small organization that wants to multihome with BGP usually
gets a /24 from one or both of their ISPs, and announces that space to
both of them.  In the US, most tier1 networks accept such /24's from their
peers, but some do not.  However, those networks, and any networks (such
as those overseas) with more aggressive filters, can still access the
small organization, even in failover scenarios.  This is because they
still have the allocating ISP's aggregate netblock in their table, and the
allocating ISP receives the customer's /24 announcement either from the
customer directly or from the customer's other ISP in a failover scenario.

If this small organization wishes to switch ISPs, he will have to
renumber.  This likely involves changing router configurations, DHCP
server configurations, and server and DNS configurations for a small
number of statically addressed servers.  In most cases this can be done
without interrupting service.

If this small organization grows to the point where renumbering would
become an undue burden (defined by current policy 4.2.2.2 as having
efficiently utilized two /24's), he can request PI space from ARIN.  Once
he renumbers into that PI space, he needn't ever renumber those hosts
again, as his PI space is portable.

In the IPv6 world, I think we need a similar policy.  IMO 2005_1_orig is
not it.  2005_1_orig would allow the smallest multihomed organizations to
get PI space to start with, essentially forcing everyone in the
default-free zone to carry their routes or lose connectivity to them.  A
better policy would be to adopt the same sort of policy for IPv6 we have
for IPv4, which would require small organizations, for whom renumbering is
a small burden, to multihome with PA space initially.  Once such an
organization grows to the point where renumbering would become a
significant burden, it should be eligible to apply for PI space.

IMO the differences in recommended numbering practices between IPv4 and
IPv6 require us to measure renumbering difficulty differently.  Does
anyone have any good information on what the obstacles to renumbering are
in IPv6?  Not having done so myself, I can only speculate that difficulty
of renumbering is a function of the number of IPv6 subnets in use (which
will have to be renumbered in router configuration or DHCP) and the number
of statically configured IPv6 hosts (each of which would need to be
reconfigured either on the host itself or in DHCP, then updated in DNS).

Could a reasonable policy be written that makes a site eligible for PI
space once it has either a certain number of subnets (discrete physical
broadcast domains) in use, and/or has a certain number of statically
configured IPv6 hosts (which would presumably each be pointed to by a
discrete AAAA record in the DNS)?

-Scott