[ppml] 2005-1 (was: Re: Policy without consensus?)

Howard, W. Lee Lee.Howard at stanleyassociates.com
Tue Jan 24 10:01:33 EST 2006

I see my role in policy development as avoiding disaster, not
protecting legacies.

> Some folks assume that enterprises are willing to swallow a
> lack of PI space
> and multihoming. Wrong - they are not and will not now or in
> the future.

As an enterprise network manager, I do not expect PI space.  I
do expect the ability to mulithome, and the ability to renumber
should I change providers.  PI space is, at best, a "nice to
have."

> They buy carrier services - and they will not buy IPv6
> services without PI space and true multihoming.

I need reliable connectivity.  To me, that means multihoming.
PI space would be one way to ease transitions in multihoming,
but good design and tools from major vendors would be enough.

Lee