[ppml] 2005-1 status

Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com
Tue Jan 24 04:56:35 EST 2006

> so we have
> to plan for 20 or 50 years from now.
>
> Trying to plan past 10 or so years in technology seems foolish. We can't
> imagine what technology will be like in 50 years.

One thing we do know is that if we make a mistake
there will be time to recognize and fix the mistake.
Unless there is hard proof that a decision WILL (not might)
lead to a problem in the next few years, then we should
go ahead with the decision.

If a decision MIGHT cause a problem, then an experimental
fram of mind would cause us to go ahead with the decision
in order to measure the results and see if there really
is cause for concern.

This is inherent in the design of IPv6 because the designers
set aside 7/8ths of the address space for a future rethink
of how addressing (and presumably routing) should work.

--Michael Dillon