[ppml] whither 2005-1 (was: Policy without consensus? )

Lea Roberts lea.roberts at stanford.edu
Mon Jan 23 21:50:43 EST 2006

hi Marshall -

(I'm putting 2005-1 back in the subject line for later subject searches :-)

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006, Marshall Eubanks wrote:

> I would care more, at present at least, that the IPv6 routing table
> actually get USED. At present, it is, what, 1% of the total ?

I don't believe it should be the case that address allocation policy
should be developed to encourage the deployment of a protocol.  However,
it is reasonable to do our best to not discourage deployment either...
there are lots of opinons at play here and trying to find the consensus
course is not easy.

as I'm sure you know well, the current allocation policy is the result of
the IAB/IESG recommendations in RFC3177.  as far as I know, the IETF
oriented folks are still concerned about routing table growth and many
were the ones who objected to the original 2005-1 proposal.  there was a
flurry of discussion on the RIPE IPv6 list lately regarding the perceived
need for more IPv6 PI space, but I'm not sure they've reached any
consensus either.

> One thing we learned in multicast is not to worry about problems caused
> by success until you actually have something like success.

I guess part of the question is whether IPv6 can be judged a success just
because it works as "IPv4 with bigger addresses"....   sorry,  /Lea