[ppml] 2005-1 status

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Mon Jan 23 16:45:55 EST 2006

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006, william(at)elan.net wrote:

>> OK, I'll start....
>>
>> Why should the criteria for PI in v6 be ANY different than with v4?
>
> Because we have an interest in promoting transition of internet users
> and organizations to v6 (and no such goal with v4) and virtually
> unlimited amount of resource space available (I know its not really
> unlimited and we have to be careful too, but its still a lot lot more space)
> as compared to very limited resources with v4.

Ups, I guess I misunderstood the question a bit...

Lea is right, there is also substantial difference in how size of ipv6
blocks and its use could effect routing table. However on this case I'd
like to note that routers will likely get more memory in the future as
all computers do after couple years, so change from v4 to v6 is likely
not to be as much of an issue. Long-term the issues maybe if too many
people apply for PI space, but I personally think we should first
focus on getting existing v4 users to v6 and we can change policy
later if necessary.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks