[ppml] Proposed Policy: Residential Customer Privacy

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Jan 18 15:44:54 EST 2006

I absolutely oppose this policy as written.  Excluding the entire
address
removes the possibility of using the small claims court process as a
means of remedy for network abuse, at least in several states within
the united States.  I think that would be an undesirable policy effect.

Removing the City, State, and Postal code information would also reduce
the availability of useful data for geographic address distribution
research which has been identified as valuable by several participants
on the list and at previous policy meetings.

I would be more willing to accept a policy which allowed limitation
of ZIP codes to 5 digit ZIP codes or limitation of Canadian Postal
Codes to the first 3 characters.  These modifications should be
sufficient to address the privacy concerns raised in recent discussions
on the list.

Owen