[ppml] Fw: IRS goes IPv6!

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Thu Feb 23 07:55:58 EST 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 10:40 +0000, Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com wrote:
[..]

> Why couldn't we do something similar with IP. An ISP could
> contract with a provider near the center of the Internet
> to deliver any packets that they don't know how to deliver.
> [..] The main packet
> volume goes to well-known destinations, thus these proxy
> shunts need not carry the same traffic levels as a core router.

Good that you use the word 'shunt' here, because what you describe here
is one of the ideas behind something that can be done with SHIM6:

* endsites (what you call outer-perimeter) has PI space, say a /48

* when a packet gets routed onto the internet, outside the site, the
exit router translates it to the core-prefix, that is provided by the
upstream provider. The upstream ISP's routes are in the "global routing
table", these can thus become quite small with multiple layers.

* when the packet arrives at a outer-perimeter, these place the
outer-address back again to restore the globaly-unique property.

Also the address can be passed around as it is globally unique, no
rewriting needed, doesn't break end-to-end and makes many people, except
most likely TE folks who only get a outer-perimiter IP, happy. The
latter group really just have to face that they are not big enough
unforunately (unless somebody comes up with a cool solution(tm) :)

Sort of tunneling over the core, or double-NAT.

The IETF is already working on these kinds of ideas ;)

Greets,
 Jeroen