[ppml] Proposed Policy: Capturing Originations in Templates

Joe Provo ppml at rsuc.gweep.net
Fri Feb 17 18:29:03 EST 2006

[take two - sent from wrong address yesterday]

On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 04:20:22PM -0800, william(at)elan.net wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Feb 2006, Owen DeLong wrote:
[difficulty of 'coding' rpsl data]
> > 2.  I'm not sure what your point is, but, my particular situation,
> >     a single entry with no policy information whatsoever is, I
> >     suspect an exception rather than a rule.
>
> No its not an "exception". In fact it would be a lot more common then
> anything else with complex policies if all those who advertised their
> blocks actually did anything with RRs. But current use of RRs is primarily
> between peering transit ISPs with only few entries directly by those
> representing leaf-nodes (of global BGP). For transit ISPs the policies
> get to be more complex, but on the other hand the people who work at
> those ISPs are more adapt to those complexities and on what can be
> entered in RRs and how.

There are several ISPs (small and large) who will not propagate any
unregistered prefixes.  The cary team at 3561 demonstrated it was
Not Hard to have webby provisioning as part of daily life back in
ripe-181 days on/around the NSF transition.  (Yes, I know they were
up and running while NACRs were being processed, I just can't recall
when 3561-customers had a pointy-clicky web form though I know if was
prior to 96.)

Joe

--
             RSUC / GweepNet / Spunk / FnB / Usenix / SAGE