[ppml] Proposed Policy: Capturing Originations in Templates

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Thu Feb 16 19:20:22 EST 2006

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006, Owen DeLong wrote:

>>> Probably one of the significant hurdles to better use of the RRs is the
>>> difficulty of correctly coding things in RPSL.
>>
>> Really? Please explain to me any difficulties you might have had in
>> correctly coding this entry:
>>
>> [whois.radb.net]
>> route:      192.159.10.0/24
>> descr:      Owen Delong network
>> origin:     AS10565
>> mnt-by:     MAINT-AS10565
>> changed:    ipadmin at meer.net 20050706
>> source:     RADB
>
> 1.	I didn't code this entry, so, I didn't have any difficulty at all.
> 	You'll notice it is maintained by one of my ISPs, not by me.
> 2.	I'm not sure what your point is, but, my particular situation,
> 	a single entry with no policy information whatsoever is, I
> 	suspect an exception rather than a rule.

No its not an "exception". In fact it would be a lot more common then
anything else with complex policies if all those who advertised their
blocks actually did anything with RRs. But current use of RRs is primarily
between peering transit ISPs with only few entries directly by those
representing leaf-nodes (of global BGP). For transit ISPs the policies
get to be more complex, but on the other hand the people who work at
those ISPs are more adapt to those complexities and on what can be
entered in RRs and how.

> 3.	It might interest you to know that the single AS shown in that
> 	entry is not necessarily a complete reflection of my connectivity,
> 	although that is the only one currently advertised in BGP.

Well, then as far as I'm concerned it is then a complete reflection.

> In general, coding things up to get them through the RPSL parser and
> into the database has, in my experience, been a frustrating exercise
> in trial and error with rather esoteric response back from the parser
> and a lot of time spent hunting for subtle syntax errors.

Have you had less difficulties with first time you submitted SWIP to
ARIN or Internic?

But your point about need for simple tool/template for just entering
ASNs that will announce the block is understood and is valid. I suppose
it can be one of the task for ARIN to create web tools to help in use
of its RR database for newcomers - ARIN definitely has extra money for
such development work. And obviously ARIN can also help in marketing
and advertise its RR to all those who got new ASN and/or new direct
allocation or assignment. I'm not sure any of this can be a policy
issue but hopefully ARIN staff is listening and taking notes.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks
william at elan.net