[ppml] Proposed Policy: Capturing Originations in Templates

Scott Leibrand sleibrand at internap.com
Thu Feb 16 09:04:46 EST 2006

On 02/16/06 at 11:35am -0000, Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com wrote:

> I think it is highly relevant because the policy proposal
> explicitly mentions RRs and the lack of authoritative information
> in them. This is a problem that ARIN can solve in their RR.
> It doesn't need to be solved in WHOIS.
>
> At the same time, there is nothing wrong with collecting
> this info on SWIP forms and then updating the RR database
> rather than the whois database. But since we are dealing
> with a fundamental RR issue, I think we should focus our
> efforts on solving it in the RR, not on munging the whois
> directory to be more RR-like.

So should we revise the proposed policy to have ARIN populate their RR
with the data provided on the SWIP forms?  I like the idea of using an
existing form that people have to fill out anyway to collect information
that people are often to lazy to provide otherwise.  I also like the idea
of presenting said information in several different formats so people can
query whichever way is easiest for them.

As others have alluded to, there is a real need for an easier way to get
authoritative information on who is authorized to originate a block.  This
policy proposal isn't a panacea, but I think it's helpful, not harmful, in
promising to make it easier for netblock owners to provide origination
information for their netblocks.

-Scott