[ppml] Version think... was: alternative to 2005-1

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Mon Feb 13 13:20:27 EST 2006

On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 10:08:32AM -0800, David Williamson wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 05:52:14PM +0000, bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com wrote:
> > 	we -are- doing things - numbers are being assigned, wiht justifications
> > 	that meet -todays- operational demands.  changing policy now to conform to
> > 	an ideal that does not exist now and may not exist for years seems
> > 	counter productive to me.
>
> Yes, numbers are being assigned.  If you aren't a provider, though, you
> aren't getting any numbers except from a provider.  I'm not a provider.
> I don't want to be locked in.  If I put on my blinders and act very selfish,
> the current policy doesn't work.  Ergo, policy must change.
>
> I simply want to see a reasonable PI policy for IPv6 created.  I'm
> pretty flexible on the 'reasonable' part, too.  At this point, I'm
> willing to compromise to the point where I won't qualify for space...if
> we need to do some sort of experiment with PI space to soothe the
> community's concerns, let's do it!
>
> The only course of action I find indefensible is to do nothing.  This
> isn't an ideal of some future need.  The need is here.  (Actually, I'll
> back away from that.  Ignoring the fact that we'll eventually run out
> of v4 space, I'm happy to stay in v4 and never have to deal with v6 at
> all.  I just think that's an unwise step for my business.)  If we ever
> want to see IPv6 take off in the ARIN region (it seems to be getting
> traction elsewhere), then we need to do something with PI space.
>
> Here's something I havem't seen in this thread yet: what are the other RIR's
> doing with PI space?  Do they have policy regarding alloctions?  Has there
> been a rush for it?  Or are the other RIRs in the same boat as ARIN, and other
> regions are just more inclined towards dealing with PA space?  (I admit to
> a highly US-centric view of how things are run.)
>
> -David

	k... lets peek here:

	) who can get space?
	) how much can they get?
	) what is everyone else doing?

	is that about right?
	presuming so, here are my personal answers ... folks who make policy
	may have different ideas.

	) i don't really know what "everyone else is doing" the ASO/AC should
	  and we have ARIN representation there.  I'm sure they will chime in
	  at some point.
	) how much?  - either exactly what you need or just a little more.
	  ideally, this is what your peers are willing to accept from you.
	) who? - everyone who asks.  the artifical constraint of "provider" or
	  "ISP" is just that.  In many cases its self-fullfilling .. e.g. if i have
	  addresses, i become a provider - QED.  If you need space, ARIN ought to
	  be able to provide it to you.  again, imho.

--bill