[ppml] Version think... was: alternative to 2005-1

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Mon Feb 13 10:18:28 EST 2006

scott wrote me an open letter:

# The latest revision of 2005-1 only gives out IPv6 PI space to orgs who
# qualify for IPv4 PI space.  It no longer gives it to anyone who's
# multihomed with IPv6.  Do you still think it needs a sunset clause?

sadly, yes i do.  there has been reasonable debate here as to the long term
viability of a "let ipv6 have an ipv4-like swamp" strategy.  until we know
either that (a) that won't happen, or (b) it's no big deal, any PI policy
for ipv6 really should be experimental/limited.  my own belief is that we
will see a small number of initial allocations, then nothing for a long
time, and that the only real effect of 2005-1 will be to end the complaints
about how broken IPv6 is and how PI space is needed.  but, let's find out!

paul