[ppml] Version think... was: alternative to 2005-1

Tony Li tony.li at tony.li
Sat Feb 11 12:52:48 EST 2006

> Respectfully, I disagree.  Our creative energies should be focused on
> finding
> a long term solution the fundamental problem which underlies all of these
> issues.

Equally respectfully, I'd like to suggest that this is neither the time
nor the place to be doing architectural development.  Yes, there are a
myriad number of delicate issues with the assignment of PI space under
the current routing architecture.  If we cannot find a reasonable
compromise under those circumstances, it is only rational for us to
consider whether or not that architecture is practical.  If we find that
the architecture is impractical, then rather than solve it here, it
makes sense to bring the issue to the appropriate forum (IETF).

It has been suggested that we are in a situation where we have no choice
except to deploy IPv6, and thus this question is moot.  I'd invite those
folks to consider the amount of investment still to be done in IPv6 and
whether, in the long run, any time would be lost by simply skipping over
a broken incarnation and the stutter step associated with an aborted,
failed deployment.

Regards,
Tony