[ppml] Version think... was: alternative to 2005-1

Houle, Joseph D (Joe), CMO jdhoule at att.com
Fri Feb 10 16:25:55 EST 2006

Folks:
   There has been a lot of discussion recently about provider
independent addressing as the solution to problems of multi-homing, ISP
lock-in, etc.   My concern is that we can't afford to ignore the
potential impact on the size of global Internet routing tables.   If we
take a look at the problems that keep coming up:

Problem: Multi-homing
In IPv4, multi-advertising (i.e., advertising the same address across
multiple providers) was the answer to the problem.
In IPv6, shouldn't we be thinking of multi-addressing (i.e. multiple
addresses for the same sub-net) as the answer?  ... Granted Shim6 is not
fully baked yet, but that (or something which accomplishes the same
basic goal) is where our creative energies should be focused."

Problem: ISP lock-in
In IPv4, PI was the insurance against "my ISP got run over by a truck".
In IPv6, shouldn't the prudent user (enterprise customer, campus, etc.)
get addresses from all their service providers?

We need to focus some attention on the effect of fragmentation (whether
caused by PI or multi-advertising in general) on the Internet routing
table size.   With the orders of magnitude increases of addresses (IPv6
vs. IPv4) and AS numbers, there is potential for routing table
explosion.   It's our responsibility to prevent that.    Even if
someone's favorite policy goal is not satisfied, addressing policy needs
to be conservative - and biased heavily against the risk of routing
table explosion since we have no data about how IPv6 addressing policies
will impact the Internet over the long term.

Joe Houle