[ppml] Proposed Policy: IPv6 Direct PI Assignments for End Sites

David Williamson dlw+arin at tellme.com
Fri Feb 10 13:05:09 EST 2006

On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 08:20:00AM -0800, Owen DeLong wrote:
> Since I think most people know where I stand and why, I'll keep this short
> just to officially get counted as chiming in on the policy...
>
> I oppose this policy.  It is not an improvement over 2005-1.  It restores
> the bias favoring only the wealthiest organizations and has a very similar
> net effect to the version of 2005-1 that was defeated at the last ARIN
> meeting.

owen beat me to it.  I agree, and on the same grounds.  Personally, I
think this problem has become somewhat intractable.  Parts of the
community really want to see IPv6 become a reality in the ARIN region,
which will require some sort of PI policy.  Others are concerned about
the impact on routing slots and other resources (or, more cynically,
their organization's bottom line).  Until the various factions can find
some common ground, this is going to keep going around in circles.  I
don't see any common ground in any of the current proposals.  (Nor do
I have a proposal in mind that would solve it.)

I generally support the current version of 2005-1.  As someone once
noted to me, a good compromise is the one that makes all parties
slightly angry.  That proposal seems to have that property...hence my
support.

-David