[ppml] alternative to 2005-1

Thomas Narten narten at us.ibm.com
Thu Feb 9 12:45:26 EST 2006

> >  Also, why do you specify /19 for #5 under 6.5.8.1?  Shouldn't someone with
> >  a IPv4 PI /22 be able to get an IPv6 /48?
> >

> It is just a line in the sand.

> I personally believe that a /22 is too small, however there are
> those who will think that an org with a /22 should be able to obtain
> a IPv6 PI address space.

Note: a /22 is only 2^10 addresses, or 1024. That's a pretty darn small
site, if you ask me.

A /19 is somewhat better, namely, 8192.

Still, I fear there are 10s to 100s of thousands of organizations in
this size. Remember, each entity with a PI assignment translates into
a routing slot in the DFZ.

Heck, even if we set a threshold of /16, we'd be saying "anyone who
can justify a class B assignment". I suspect that the number of end
sites meeting that criteria is pretty large.

I'd feel a lot more comfortable picking a threshold if I had a rough
idea of how many entities we're talking about who would qualify. Given
the above, even /19 sounds too low.

In the absense of data, I'd say be _very _ conservative, e.g., start
with a /16 (or higher).

Thomas