[ppml] 2005-1 status

Glenn Wiltse iggy at merit.edu
Mon Feb 6 12:51:17 EST 2006

   IPv4 does have some fairly specific criteria for obtaining ip
assignments driectly from ARIN. Many of these critiera are based on the
realitive scarcity of IPv4 address space. The term utilization
rate is used, and basicly describes some percentage of total ip
address space used. You must have a imediate need for 25% utilization
and expect 50% utilization within a year of the assignment, 80% before
you can get more, etc...

   IPv6 address space is not scarce, in fact right now in the ARIN region
it seems we are having trouble getting people interested in using it.
Typicaly utilization rates for IPv6 are spoken of in terms of the number
of /48s that are assigned, not in terms of IP addresses or even in terms
of /64s used.

   I personaly think it's somewhat futile to try and duplicate the general
IPv4 scheem of things, in hopes that it will suit the needs of IPv6
policy. In general we need to get away from the idea that IPv6 is somehow
scarce. More specificly I don't think orginizations with PI IPv6 needs
should be forced  into a realtively small amount of IPv6 space simply
because they are not a "ISP". Especially when many large orginizations
with PI needs, quite possibly have a greater real need for space then many
small ISPs do.

   When we are using words like 'site' we would be wise not just ignore the
fact that the word typicaly is used to refer to a physical location and is
not somehow synonymous with 'user' or 'orginzation'.

   Oh, and no offense to the people who work at ARIN, but I'm not
comfortable making vague policy that gives them nearly unlimited
discretion in maters that should be realtively well defined in public
policy. If I were comfortable giving ARIN staff that much discretion, I'd
probably just stay home rather then attend ARIN Public Policy Meetings.

Glenn Wiltse