[ppml] 2005-1 status

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Feb 2 17:25:39 EST 2006

--On February 2, 2006 8:30:42 AM -0500 Scott Leibrand
<sleibrand at internap.com> wrote:

> Owen,
>
> Do you attend IETF?  It seems to me that's the place to push for an
> improved routing paradigm and a redesign of the routing system.

Agreed.  Unfortunately, no, I don't have the resources to actively
participate in IETF.  As such, my effort on new routing paradigm is
limited to explaining that one is needed sooner or later regardless
of allocation policy, and, questioning the basic assumption in IP
policy that we should preserve the current routing paradigm by
constraining the use of IP and treating a significant portion of
the world as second class citizens in such policy.

> I'll be at my first IETF in Dallas in March.  If you'll be attending, let
> me know.  I'd love to meet up with folks with good ideas on how to improve
> the Internet, and start actively participating in some working groups.

I'd love to be there, but, I haven't even been able to get my employer
to send me to an ARIN conference, let alone IETF.

> Until someone finishes paving the road ahead and builds a bridge across
> the ravine in the distance, I don't think it's wise to take our foot off
> the brakes.  We needn't stop yet, and I'd love to be able to speed up, but
> I don't think it's safe to do so just yet.

I think as long as we keep our feet on the brakes, IETF will not begin
construction.  That is my concern.  We are penalizing a significant portion
of the ARIN constituency and creating multiple classes of citizenship
while ignoring the fact that the DOT has not started construction on the
bridge they promised to complete years ago.  I was far more willing to
accept this in IPv4 because it was supposed to get fixed in IPv6.  It
has not been fixed, and, the IETF shows no signs of even an intent to
consider fixing it.

Safe?  Perhaps not, but, safety is relative.  Remember, brakes are an
ablative process, and, leaving our feet on them has consequences as
well.

Owen