[ppml] 2005-1 status

Scott Leibrand sleibrand at internap.com
Thu Feb 2 11:24:25 EST 2006

On 02/02/06 at 10:50am -0500, Kevin Loch <kloch at hotnic.net> wrote:

> Right now getting two /48's up and running is easier said than done, and
> probably not free (at least not for long).  If you wanted to make it
> nearly impossible you could require native connections. Another way to
> limit it would be to require the /48's to be from ARIN LIR's.  There's
> only about 73 of those online right now.

So something like this?

        3) Be currently multihomed using native IPv6 connectivity to two
           or more separate ARIN LIR's using at least one /48 assigned to
           them by each LIR.

That would allow for widespread IPv6-only PI allocations once native IPv6
connectivity becomes more widespread, but in the near term limit PI
allocations to those who have or qualify for IPv4 PI space.

> In any case I expect the fees for PI space (I'm guessing minimum of
> $500/yr membership fee if deferred and maybe $1250/yr if not) would
> discourage frivolous assignments.

That combined with the language above would be something I could support.
I would actually prefer more restrictive language than the above in 3)
initially, which could be loosened later, but it seems I'm in the minority
with that view, so I'm willing to support the language above if that
represents a consensus view.

-Scott