[ppml] 2005-1 status

Scott Leibrand sleibrand at internap.com
Thu Feb 2 09:29:07 EST 2006

On 02/02/06 at 8:31am -0600, Bill Darte <billd at cait.wustl.edu> wrote:

> 2005-1 expressed a means to accommodate the needs of current users of
> the Internet and doesn't break with the status quo

Yes it does.  The most recently presented draft of 2005-1 allows any home
user who can get a /48 from two ISPs to qualify for PI space.

> or break the routing infrastructure.

That remains to be seen.

> I does bring into question whether 'in the longer term', the status quo
> will accommodate those future needs.  As you suggest above, there may be
> more than one way to remedy those implications and does not attempt to
> specify any particular remedy.

So why are we specifying PI-for-everyone as the remedy?  Why not just give
IPv6 PI space to those who qualify for IPv4 PI space (for now), and wait
until later to give out PI-for-everyone only if necessary?

-Scott