[ppml] 2005-1 status

Robert Bonomi bonomi at mail.r-bonomi.com
Wed Feb 1 23:27:56 EST 2006

> From ppml-bounces at arin.net  Wed Feb  1 21:13:31 2006
> From: Randy Bush <randy at psg.com>
> Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 19:13:20 -0800
> To: Scott Leibrand <sleibrand at internap.com>
> Cc: ppml at arin.net
> Subject: Re: [ppml] 2005-1 status
>
> > I know a home user doesn't need PI space:
>
> hmmm.  they have no IT department to help them renumber while the
> enterprise does.  and it will keep the IT folk occupied, instead
> of spending their time saving the organization money by making
> the lives of the actual working folk less productive in the name
> of homogenization and efficiency. :-)/2
>
> hmmm.  maybe the home user's border devices can do something like
> nat.  or some way to separate the home's internals from the
> external routing issues.
>
> hmmm.  i wonder if something like that would work for the
> enterprise.  you know, site multihoming with something that
> separates loc/routing from internal namespace.
>
> mo is less!  :-)
>
> </troll>
>
> randy

I've got to be missing something...

What about all end-node nets use the "this" network for all internal
nodes, with minimal NAT (add/remove actual network prefix) at the
external interfaces.

DNS zones, obviously, have to know/supply the actual network prefix
as well as the 'this network' node address.

Is there anything else that passes (potentially) _off_network_  IP
addresses in the data portion of the packet?  ('on network' addresses
can be reconstructed from 'this' network, by the simple expedient of
combining the 'this' network host address, with the actual network
prefix from the packet source address.)