[ppml] 2005-1 status

Kevin Loch kloch at hotnic.net
Wed Feb 1 23:14:22 EST 2006

Scott Leibrand wrote:
 > So I wanted to get your opinion on the point I've been trying
> to introduce into the discussion: at what point along the spectrum from a
> home user to a large multinational corporation does PI space become the
> best (or only) option for effective multihoming?

Unfortunately we simply don't know yet.  There certainly isn't
anything resembling a consensus on where the dividing line should be.
For that reason the latest revision proposals simply permit anyone
with an IPv4 allocation/assignment to get an IPv6 assignment.  The idea
is that those networks have already been evaluated by the best methods
we currently have.  Gauging the merits of IPv6 only networks is
something that will take further work.

The concern over a flood of non-IPv4-pi applicants is valid but greatly
overstated.  How many non-isp networks in the ARIN reigon are multihomed
right now with IPv6 and have /48's swipped from two different ISP's?
I'm guessing not very many.

As we gain experience with these assignments we can revise the policy if
necessary.

- Kevin