[ppml] 2005-1 status

Scott Leibrand sleibrand at internap.com
Wed Feb 1 21:26:22 EST 2006

Michael,

Say ARIN defines a netblock for PI allocations, and allocates /44 through
/32's out of it (IIRC /44 is the minimum allocation size in the current
policy proposal, not /48).  Then say APNIC and RIPE each decide to do the
same, followed by LACNIC and AfriNIC.  Now you have 5 different
geographically identifiable ranges from which PI space is allocated.  If
at some point we have too many routes for routers to handle, operators in
each region could safely filter smaller routes from the other regions, as
long as they set up aggregate routes pointing in the right direction, or
get their peers in the other regions to advertise the aggregates to them.

That seems to me the extent to which geotopological addressing will be
feasible in the real world, where NSPs operate continental or global
backbones.  And if the current iteration of 2005-1 gets approved, we may
end up there sooner than we expect.

IMO giving PI space to anyone multihomed with PA /48's from two providers
is going to dramatically increase the rate of routing table growth over
what we've seen with IPv4.  If we're willing to deal with that using
tricks like the one described above, fine, but I think we should seriously
consider only issuing PI space to users whose size or network complexity
makes the use of PA space for multihoming impractical.

-Scott