[ppml] 2005-1 status

Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com
Wed Feb 1 07:57:02 EST 2006

>  Frankly, if the IETF thinks I am wrong about
> this, then, they should start designing a new routing infrastructure
> that can support the requirements of the real world.

The IETF ceased being responsible for the Internet's
routing structure at least a decade ago. Seems to
me that all the recent advancements in routing have
been driven by network operators or vendors or
end users, often with no IETF involvement.

> The IETF used to do a much better job of understanding the true
> needs of end users.  What has changed is the nature of the end users.
> It used to be that the end users were, by and large, also the network
> operators and protocol engineers.  Now that John Q. Public is the
> norm and not the exception on the internet, I'm not sure that the
> IETF model of development scales so well.

I think it has been shown that the IETF model of the 1980s
did not scale and therefore in the first decade of the
21st century, we don't rely on the IETF to supply operational
improvements to the Internet.

However, the IETF model of open public discussion has scaled
reasonably well in numerous other groups and organizations that
tackle the various problems of the Internet.

--Michael Dillon