[ppml] question on 2006-2 v6 internal microallocation

Howard, W. Lee Lee.Howard at stanleyassociates.com
Tue Aug 29 09:55:53 EDT 2006

I see.  The Global Routing Table is not the list of all routes
on a given router, but some superset of routing tables among
routers in a DFZ AS.

Your definition says, "the routing table in a peering
router of any member of the default-free zone will consist
of the "Global Routing Table" "
I took "member" to be "router," since I think of a routing
table as a router's routing table.

> > Connecting the dots, is it possible that some members of the
> > default-free zone will have and share certain prefixes among
> > themselves?
>
> I don't understand. The default free zone came about because
> a set of network operators DO share prefixes (announce prefixes)
> among themselves as their exclusive means of interdomain
> connectivity.

Yes.  But in our current context, discussing whether there should
be a rule or guideline that a prefix not be advertised in the DFZ,
if a prefix is advertised between two DFZ ASes, is it in the Global
Routing Table?

> --Michael Dillon
>
> P.S. many of the larger network operators will also operate
> IP networks and IP internetworks that are not part of the
> public Internet. They may not be default free in those
> extra-networks but that is not relevant. The concept of
> Default-Free Zone only applies to the public Internet.

How do you tell the difference?

Thank you for using specific language; I think this is very
helpful.

Lee