[ppml] Policy Proposal 2005-1: Provider-independent IPv6

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Apr 27 19:05:32 EDT 2006

[Apologies to those on the list that feel I have exceeded my posting limit
for the day.  I could not let this stand without response.]

My operational experience includes senior backbone engineering
at a number of different ISPs, ranging from Netcom (mid-size, national at
the
time) to ConXioN (small start-up at the time) to Exodus (mid-size, national
when I started and large international for a significant portion of the
time I was there).  I also have substantial enterprise and small business
experience.  I consult for several hosting providers today, as well as
running
the network for my current employer (mid-size, international).

I agree that the IETF lacks operational focus.  However, it is the large
ISPs and router vendors that shouted loudest to avoid PI space, and, these
are the groups that continue to shout the loudest.  That is simply a fact.

I agree that the operators, large ISPs, included were shouted down when they
asked for scalable routing solutions.  I don't know why the vendors in the
room pushed so hard to avoid this topic, but, since you work for a vendor,
perhaps you can answer that question.

I'm not saying that there's any sort of conspiracy between vendors and large
ISPs.  I'm saying that vendors are over-represented in the IETF, large
operators
are underrepresented, and, enterprise and smaller consumers are virtually
un-represented.  Note, I consider ISVs as well as router vendors in the
vendor category, so, Microsoft and their ilk are in with Cisco and their
ilk in terms of my view of the demographics.

I don't think that the IETF acted in bad faith, and, I'm not trying to make
any such accusation.  I do think that the IETF failed to deliver a scalable
routing solution and continues to focus on dead-end paths that do not
offer any possibility of real solution.

Further, I do think that the large ISPs have a profit motive to preserve
a PA only addressing model, and, that vendors have some benefit as well
(although this is less clear).

However, I had no intention or perspective that this was, in any way, any
form of conspiracy between them, and, I apologize if I gave that impression.

Nonetheless, from where I sit, two things are true... If we don't have PI
space in v6, we won't have v6, and, nobody has proposed a scalable routing
solution which does not involve id/locator split.  Once they are split,
the existence of PI is irrelevant to any scaling issue.

Owen