[ppml] "Recommended Practices" procedure

Kevin Loch kloch at hotnic.net
Thu Apr 27 09:44:58 EDT 2006

Christopher Morrow wrote:
> Today, MOST providers will accept and re-advertise a /24 route, this
> seems to be a 'globally agreed upon' boundary. This is good and bad
> (debate later). In v6 this hasn't really been set yet, though with
> 2005-1 passing (potentially, depending on AC I suppose?) the boundary
> will be /48... it'll quickly be 'all /48' as well I predict.

It seems that many networks already accept /48's today, as a
direct result of a lack of PI policy.

The generous minimum allocation size of /32 means that accepting all
/48's (or even /44's) is a really bad idea.  Unless wasteful /32's
are used for PI assignments, ISP's will have no choice but to have
different minimum prefix size limits by range.  This is why it is
important to have a large well known and static range (like a /16) set
aside for PI assignments.  At that point it is no different than the /48
rules needed for the critical infrastructure /48's.

Whether a /16 should be set aside by each RIR or one globally is
an interesting question.

- Kevin