[ppml] Resurrecting ULA Central [was: Re: Policy Proposal 2006-2: Micro-allocations for Internal Infrastructure - to be revised ]

David Williamson dlw+arin at tellme.com
Tue Apr 25 09:42:40 EDT 2006

On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 08:12:10AM +0000, bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 04:27:06PM -0400, Jason Schiller (schiller at uu.net) wrote:
> 	perhaps i was unclear.  the ULA proposal from the IETF
> 	create property rights in IP address space, a concept that
> 	to date, is antithical to the RIR premise that IP space
> 	is roughly analogous to frequencies... e.g. can I OWN
> 	the frequency band between 10.8GHz and 11.2Ghz and require
> 	anyone who uses it to pay me royalties on a global basis?

I haven't read the IETF proposal, but I'm hoping that we can simply
link this hypothetical internal infrastructure allocation to holding an
AS.  In that way, there's no ownership created, since you certainly
don't own an AS number.  The RIRs would still be the allocators of
space out of the global reserved block for this purpose:  they simply
provide stewardship of the chunk associated with the ASNs allocated to
them.

Sounds like I better go read the draft.  I agree that ownership rights
would be a problem, but I think there must be a way to link this to
other resources such that the RIR stewardship concept applies.

-David