[ppml] "Recommended Practices" procedure

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Tue Apr 25 04:21:01 EDT 2006

 Apr 24, 2006 at 05:46:28PM -0400, Jason Schiller (schiller at uu.net) wrote:
> I too was frustrated by the comments that "ARIN does not set routing
> policy".

	arin has -never set routing policy for others because
	arin only runs its own routers.  i'm sure that if you
	could convince arin to run your routers, it would implement
	a routing policy for you. :)

> It can be very difficult to advise your company to do the right thing for
> the good of the Internet when it is counter to good business
> practices.  It is a little bit easier if one can hold up a "good IP
> stewardship policy" that most people are following.

	this is really passing the buck Jason.  Asking ARIN to
	be your backstop instead of coming up with your own "good
	IP stewardship policy" is placing an unwanted burden on
	ARIN.

> So should we re-charter ARIN to publish a non-binding "Routing Policy
> Guideline Manual (RPGM)"  or should we just fold this into the NRPM?

	i'd say neither...

> The other question is if this is the right forum?  and if not, then what
> is the right forum?  NANOG?  only joint ARIN/NANOG meetings?
>
> Also, how does this relate to other regions?  I am told that RIPE
> discusses routing policy.  Should there be an NRO equilivent role with
> regard to global routing policy?

	RIPE does ... but it also forces its members to do other things
	that ARIN members might find objectionable.  unclear what LACNIC,
	AFRNIC and APNIC do wrt enforcing routing policy...  but there
	does seem to be some interest in RIRs -signing- delegations.
	while this does not set the routing policy, it does disambiguate
	prefix origin.