[ppml] Collapsing Residential and Business Privacy

Sam Weiler weiler at tislabs.com
Fri Apr 21 12:45:25 EDT 2006

I'm a fan of doing something like this.  That said, it may not be
trivial to reach consensus on it, and I don't want to see it hold up
any incremental changes we can make in the meantime.

The immediately available example of such an incremental change is
2006-1.  2006-1 doesn't attempt to move the bit boundary nor cover
non-residential customers nor apply any new accountability
requirements.  Instead it makes a tiny incremental improvment in what
we have now.  I hope we don't drop it in favor of something more
comprehensive.

On to the substance...

> - eliminate differentiation between residential and business

Fine.

> - designate /29's and smaller as private

Fine.

> - reduction of NA postal codes to 3 characters

Not so fine.  I haven't seen any analysis non-US postal codes
suggestion this is reasonable.  I'm not even convonced it's reasonable
in the US.  I'd prefer to see an argument for why we still need
partial postal codes -- what use do they serve?

> - creating a confidential/undercover registration clause ...

No.  Unless they get a statutory exemption, LEAs can operate under the
same rules as everyone else -- let's not complicate our policy to
accomodate them.

-- Sam