[ppml] [GLOBAL-V6] Re: Just say *NO* to PI space -- or how to make it less destructive

Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com
Fri Apr 21 09:55:39 EDT 2006

>    Commodity Frame Relay or ATM with two DAFs entering the facility, but
>    an inspection of the DLRs for the PVCs shows that they both traverse
>    the same switch.
>
>    Two SONET connections that are groomed onto the same OC48.

We know that separacy of circuits is subject to change due to
the widespread use of switches (DACS, ATM, Ethernet) and the
widespread telecom practice of grooming customer circuits
over time. It is hard work to ensure that true separacy
exists when it is needed to meet customer contract conditions.
Given this, I think it would be unwise to specify the degree
of separacy in an ARIN policy. It would be almost impossible to
enforce such a provision even if you restrict it to new
applications. And even then, anyone can comply to get their
ASN and PI block, then go back to the pair of IPv6 tunnels
for the long haul.

ARIN policy has always had to strike a balance. We are not
lawmakers or law enforcers.

--Michael Dillon