[ppml] IPv6 PI space for addressing

Tony Hain alh-ietf at tndh.net
Thu Apr 20 19:05:22 EDT 2006

brian.knight at us.mizuho-sc.com wrote:
> I've been watching the debate over IPv6 PI space for well over a year
> (mostly on NANOG), and one thing stands out to me.  Many moons ago, if an
> organization intended to run IPv4 in their network, they could secure an
> IPv4 allocation even if they did not intend to route that prefix over the
> Internet.
>
> I believe address depletion is still a valid concern with IPv6, and the
> draft policies do address this concern.  However, I believe the
> restrictions
> on IPv6 PI space should recognize the need for such space outside of the
> Internet routing table.
>
> I'm part of a financial organization that deals in futures and other
> securities.  We do not presently qualify for IPv4 PI space - our network
> is
> simply not large enough.  However, we could benefit greatly from PI space.
> Without going into too much detail, our network has two border zones: one
> the Internet and one to our business partners.  Our partners include
> financial exchanges, software vendors, and our customers.  We use PA space
> for our Internet addressing, and RFC1918 for nearly all B2B connections.
> It's quite challenging for us and for our business partners to manage our
> routing.  We use NAT at nearly every entry and exit point, sometimes
> forcing
> us to buy extra equipment just to support that function.
>
> If we could reserve PI space and deploy that throughout our network,
> rather
> than more-dynamic PA space or some non-unique range, it would obviate the
> need for NAT within our more complex border zone, and eliminate the
> problems
> of readdressing there.  We wouldn't attempt to announce this prefix within
> the global routing table.  We would simply translate our internal PI
> addresses to the PA block our ISP will have provided.  In fact, as I
> envision our network 10 years from now, the only need for NAT would be at
> the Internet border of our network, where we'll be translating our PI
> space
> into PA space. :)
>
> Being tied to PA space within our internal net would not be a good thing
> for
> us.  Yes, DNS makes transitions much easier, but address-centric issues
> remain.  We would need to coordinate with every one of our business
> partners
> to have them update their routing for whichever private subnets we've
> chosen
> to route.  (That, or we would adjust NAT definitions for each partner.)
> We'd also have to adjust our IPSec tunnels, which means more coordination.
> We may also need to renumber point-to-point links, which means more
> coordination.  We have all the pain of renumbering should we choose to
> change ISP's.  A change in one zone would require a change in the other.

> [...]

You mix a couple of requirements here. For the 'never intends to route it'
part, you want to look at the thread Thomas Narten started: Resurrecting ULA
Central... Short of that, RFC 4193 will likely meet your needs.  For the 'to
be routed' part you are talking about PI space.

All uses of address space are valid, and yes the ISPs are leaning on the
RIRs to police because they know the business side of their house will not
refuse to take the customer's money so they will have to route whatever the
customer has. They see the only way out as creating policies that deny
space. Fortunately this is a problem of their own making as the real issue
is the ego driven need to 'know it all'.

The routing protocols don't require passing around a full list everywhere,
but operational practice does that because each ISP has to be 'a big
player'. Several of us are talking about ways to structure the PI space so
that if the disaster scenario ever becomes real there will be a way to
contain and partition the problem.

Your needs are as valid as any other, and what the policy process needs is
more input from the enterprise network managers like yourself. Tell every
company you deal with that now is the time to weigh in and make sure they
are not locked out by policies that favor the ISP at the expense of their
customers.

Tony