[ppml] Just say *NO* to PI space -- or how to make it less destructive

Scott Leibrand sleibrand at internap.com
Thu Apr 20 11:25:14 EDT 2006

On 04/20/06 at 9:15am -0600, cja at daydream.com <packetgrrl at gmail.com> wrote:

> The difference between the historic filters that ISPs imposed is that the
> longer blocks they filtered were also still advertised via shorter aggregate
> CIDR blocks.  This meant that multihomed sites were still reachable although
> not optimally.   If an ISP filters these PI blocks when their routers are
> starting to die, that ISPs customers will not be able to get to these sites
> at all.

*Unless* you replace the filtered PI blocks with a supernet aggregate.
For example, if an ISP in Asia decided they couldn't handle all the ARIN
PI netblocks, they could create a route for the ARIN PI supernet pointed
toward North America and filter all the PI subnets.

If we decide to assign PI space on a non-random basis, we set ourselves up
to be able to do the same thing on less than continental scales *if* it
becomes necessary at some point.  Hopefully that won't be necessary, but
IMO non-random PI assignment is a very cheap and easy emergency
preparedness measure.

-Scott