[ppml] Just say *NO* to PI space -- or how to make it less destructive

David Williamson dlw+arin at tellme.com
Thu Apr 20 09:56:48 EDT 2006

On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 04:48:30PM +0300, Pekka Savola wrote:
> I don't support PI space to end-sites.  We have to get rid of the
> notion that a random end-site has any business whatsoever in mucking
> with the global routing tables, either by making it much larger than
> need be or by polluting it with needless dynamicity.
>
> We have way too much trouble with clueless ISPs to also add (or
> continue to add) end-sites to the mix...

The message I'm getting from you is that people at end-sites are
clueless idiots, and only large ISPs have enough clue to run BGP
without mucking things up.  I find that horribly offensive.

I think there are people in the ISP community that have valid concerns
about PI space.  I disagree with them, but I can at least respect their
views.  This, on the other hand, has no merit in my book.  I'm quite
positive that many end-sites have legitimate need for controlling their
own routing, and many are quite capable of doing so without making a
mess of things.  (I'd like to think that my site is among those.)

-David