[ppml] Collapsing Residential and Business Privacy (ease of use) Was: Re: Privacy of Non-Residential Reassignments in Public Whois

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Apr 20 02:53:03 EDT 2006

--On April 19, 2006 5:08:55 PM -0400 "Divins, David" <dsd at servervault.com>
wrote:

> Do irresponsible ISPs SWIP correctly to begin with?  It seems to me that
> any policy movement here is to help responsible parties comply.  The
> irresponsible ones don't care, they do what they want and that's that.

While there may be some truth to that, codifying it as legitimate practice
is not in my opinion in the best interests of correcting the problem.

Businesses operating within the law in most jurisdictions have a business
license which is a matter of public record and have filed a fictitious name
or incorporation paperwork with a secretary of state office in some state,
also a matter of public record. Lots of businesses operate outside of these
laws. Does that mean that we should pass a law saying it is OK to do so?
I tend to think not.

> The reality is a customer that I am concerned about using SWIP for will
> never be seen un-obfuscated in whois--period, under any policy
> construct.  That said; what I am looking for is a way as a responsible
> party to have a mechanism to deal with these "corner cases" in an
> appropriate manner.  This may be a wacky case for a lot of people but it
> is a majority of my customers.

Then, frankly, your customer should live in /29s or smaller, or, should
create a legitimate ORG that handles all of their IP transactions and
can accept legal service for whatever they do to the network.  Current
policy allows that ORG to be the party registered in ARIN whois.

> I do not have all the answers but I believe there is something that can
> be done in this space.

And I think that what we have is adequate, except, of course, that I would
like to see some accountability brought against those that are placing
fraudulent data in the database.

Owen

--
If this message was not signed with gpg key 0FE2AA3D, it's probably
a forgery.