[ppml] [narten at us.ibm.com: PI addressing in IPv6 advances in ARIN]

Peter Sherbin pesherb at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 19 10:19:55 EDT 2006

> > The Internet billing model is simple:
> >
> > (Download - Upload) * $/bit = Billed Amount
>
> This is simply not true. I am not aware of any ISP
> that charges for service in this way.

You are correct. ISP do not charge that way even so they should.

> > It is based on two assumptions:
> > 1. People access the Internet to download content
> > 2. Paying party controls their download activity
>
> This is also not true. People access the Internet for
> many reasons, some of which equate to uploading content.
> In a common download transaction, both the downloader and
> the content provider pay for their Internet service.

You are welcome to upload an unlimited quantity of anything. The transaction will
not happen so unless there is a downloading party.
(Flat) access fee is needed to cover facilities that connect transactors.

> > If security becomes a prohibitive concern for the above then the
> > product is just not
> > ready for use.
>
> The Internet has been running this way for over 10 years.

Which proves that the security issue is not a prohibitive concern.

Peter