[ppml] [narten at us.ibm.com: PI addressing in IPv6 advances inARIN]

Peter Sherbin pesherb at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 18 21:06:00 EDT 2006

> it's a silly as traffic ratios on peering agreements.

For what I see telcos are under a huge pressure to substitute eroding wireline with
new revenues. The Internet? Then they have to rely on a traditional model charging
for every bit traversing their networks. And does counting bits differ that
drastically from counting minutes?

I dare to speculate that the Internet belonging to a common good like interstate
highways will end up as a set of community networks supported by tax dollars coupled
with a mix of Application Providers' and private networks. That kind of
infrastructure people already are building in Asia where IPv6 nicely resounds with
threads-in-a-sheet self conscience.

Peter