[ppml] Policy Proposal 2005-8: Proposal to amend ARIN IPv6 assignment and utilisation requirement - Last Call

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Sat Apr 15 17:30:58 EDT 2006

Hi Randy,

May be I'm reading "hardwired" in a different way/context.

For me, in an end-user network (in this context a residential customer), the
/64 must not be subnetted, if we want to keep things working automatically
(privacy, autoconfiguration, etc.). If we want to get rid off supporting
users problems with NAT, and then decide to start breaking things in IPv6
... we are then loosing part of the advantages.

I agree that in some context, such as point-to-point links, we can use /126,
but I still believe is better to keep using /64 for those cases in order to
ensure that some features also work there.

Also, my understanding is that all the OS and router implementations that
I've tried, will support a manual configuration of subnets ignoring the /64
boundary, but again, then automatic things don't work anymore.

So may be "hardwired" is not correct (even may be is actually the case in
sensors or small devices, embedded OSs, which will rely only in
autoconfiguration because can't be manually configured), but the
meaning/context used by Lea is still the same: Subnetting a /64 in local
area networks is contraindicated and is against RFC4291 and must not be used
as a way to extend the addressing space instead of allocating a bigger
address block.

Regards,
Jordi