[ppml] Policy Proposal 2005-8: Proposal to amend ARIN IPv6 assignment and utilisation requirement - Last Call

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Fri Apr 14 16:23:02 EDT 2006

Hi,

While I don't agree with this proposal (I still believe a default /48 should
be assigned to any end-site if is non-portable space), I would accept it, if
the final text of the policy make sure that an end-site has the right to
request to the LIR for being upgraded from the /64 or /56 to the /48 without
the need for a detailed justification (as otherwise may go against the
end-site right to privacy) and the end-site can get that upgrade at no extra
recurrent costs (a setup fee is acceptable if it match real costs for that
and a small recurrent cost which match the *real* cost for that space as
paid to the RIR will be also acceptable). Is also important that the user
upgrading from a /64 or /56 to a /48 don't need to renumber, so I will
suggest that the ISP need to keep reserved the complete /48.

For those that believe that reserving the /48 is a space waste, I will
suggest to understand that this can be changed in the future (possible in
hundreds of years, in my opinion) if we really come into a situation where
we have to use the reserved space, even if that means renumbering some or
all the end-sites (I'm considering that most of the end-sites that will fall
into this situation will be residential customers). Renumbering once in
hundreds of years should not be considered as a trouble, as most probably,
residential users don't keep the same provider for so long time ...

What I'm trying to avoid here is the situation that we have today which
users being forced to NAT and a single dynamic IPv4 address, which can turn
in a few years from now in something similar if you only get a /64 and need
/56 or /48.

Regards,
Jordi