[ppml] Privacy of Reassignment Information

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Mon Apr 10 12:22:41 EDT 2006

Hi all,

In the LACNIC policy mailing list we had been in that discussion several
times the last months (just to make it clear, here I'm talking for myself)
and I think we tend to agree that may be not all the data that we have right
now is actually required.

I've been also involved in a lot of research on this matter and actually
published a non-for-profit book, in English and Spanish, with studied the
legal implications for IPv6, in the European regulations, but actually
compared everything with IPv4 also (so is applicable to IP in general, I
will say). The book is available in PDF format at
http://www.ipv6tf.org/news/newsroom.php?id=1260.

I think is clear to everybody, and no need for a new debate on that, that
privacy for residential customers is a must and appropriate policy is
already there in some of the regions.

Is also clear that we want and need certain degree of accountability,
specially for the RIRs to make sure that they aren't being cheated with
actual utilization figures. However, the current policy may enforce to some
people to actually fill in with ghost or inaccurate data, because they are
requested to keep the privacy by their customers (even if not residential).
But is somebody at the registries actually checking all this data ? I guess
not ...

So the goal of public databases such as whois for accountability is not
working out.

In Spain (I think same as the rest of EU) you've the choice, even if you are
a company, to request your address, phone, etc., not to be published in the
phone books. Of course, this information is available at the merchant
registries, which are public, but often can only be consulted in the
merchant registry buildings (I guess this could change in the future, of
course).

We tend to use this data for NOC/abuse purposes, but may be not all the data
is needed for that, or even more, there are lots of business which don't run
by themselves the NOC/abuse service and they rely in the upstream provider,
third parties, etc.

So I think we need to review the reason for having ALL this data openly
available, and instead allow the business to decide if they want to have
real data (which may be not useful and even be false) or just provide the
contact points that they decide. Also, how much of this data is actually
needed for NOC/abuse, or if it make sense to have a contact from the ISP or
even the RIR to call in in case of any incident (when the data is not
available publicly because or corporate privacy policy decision, etc.).

Regards,
Jordi