[ppml] IPv6 PI Assignment Survey

Azinger, Marla marla_azinger at eli.net
Fri Apr 7 17:09:02 EDT 2006

Thank you for doing this survey set up.  Its a great way to get feed back and clarify what the issues are.

I did the survey, but I have a few reservations about the question asked.  I put my concerns below each question of the survey I have "input" on.

#5. I support the requirement that an organization must be multihomed to qualify for an IPv6 PI assignment.

"My point of hesitation on this is that how can we require this when we dont have a multihome solution.  Yes, I know you can do it just like v4 but policy doesnt support that.  So I say "agree" if we can change policy to support current technical abilities".

#8. I support the requirement to assign IPv6 PI address space from a seperate super block.

"My point of hesitation here is the whole reason for seperating the super block.  If I interpret this correctly, we are doing this so that PI assignments are allowed to deaggregate within the super block.  I dont see this as a fair practice due to the fact with current policy anyone else outside of this PI superblock that uses the regular v6 block arnt allowed to deagregate thus multihome.  So this rule would only allow PI assignements the ability to deagregate and multihome.

13. I support the requirement to specify a reserved block in an IPv6 PI address policy.

"sorry, havnt followed the chain of emails enough to know if you are talking about ARIN publicly announcing what Super block is to be reserved for this use or when an ARIN Member requesting the next contiguous block to be reserved for futer request"

15. I support the assignment of additional /48 subnets to organizations with multiple assigned ASNs.

"The way policy is right now I agree with this.  But would it possibly be better to reduce the size to a /44 and change policy?"

16. I support the assignment of multiple /48s per organization.

"Yes, given there is technical need demanding this or usage justified"

Thank you
Marla Azinger
Frontier Communications